Reviewing Brainzooming Google Analytics for the past month, the most frequent search term people are using to find the Brainzooming blog is “brainstorming.” These Google Analytics results prompted me to share a variety of Brainzooming posts related to brainstorming techniques on Twitter last Saturday.
Because of this, here are the brainstorming techniques shared on Twitter plus a few other posts on various related aspects, many of them tied to the Google Fiber brainstorming sessions we conducted in October 2011:
Brainstorming Session Expectations
1. A Career-Changing Business Quote – 10 Years Later – A fantastic setup for the value of brainstorming techniques and their importance in anticipating what you can’t specifically anticipate.
2. The Value of Brainstorming Techniques for Business Ideas – Brainstorming is seen by some as an unproductive, low yielding activity. The people who think brainstorming techniques don’t provide value are simply wrong.
3. 7 Things a Brainstorming Session ISN’T – Some people think a brainstorming session can cure all the issues plaguing a business. The people who think brainstorming techniques can do all this are simply wrong.
Brainstorming Session Design
4. “Taking the NO Out of InNOvation” – Our free eBook on Taking the NO Out of InNOvation is a tremendous resource to get yourself and your team ready in planning a productive brainstorming session.
5. Not Even One of These Things Is Not Like Another – When you choose who will be in your brainstorming session, make sure to build in plenty of diversity.
6. Looking for the Elusive Big Idea – You don’t want to start looking for a BIG idea. Look for big volumes of ideas and then find the clear winners within that list.
7. Put Yourself in a Sticky Situation for Strategic Thinking Exercises – We’re making an interesting investment in a really powerful tool to do more of our brainstorming sessions online, but we’re still big fans of sticky notes for many reasons.
8. Extreme Creativity – 10 Questions from Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives – Extreme creativity can come from anywhere. We try to pull from a variety of reality TV shows and other sources to maximize how extreme creativity can help drive brainstorming results.
9. Creative Thinking Exercises for When You’re Successful – Sometimes a team has been together for so long and had so much success, it’s tough for the team to imagine doing anything differently. You can build on past success as a platform for new ideas though.
10. A Creative Thinking Exercise to Boost Team Energy & Ideas – One way to brainstorm really bold ideas (and have a lot of fun along the way) is to deliberately try to tweak your authority figures.
11. Brainstorming Success & Saying “Think Outside the Box” Don’t Mix – Brainstorming success isn’t just about telling people to “think outside the box.” It’s important to actually create an environment that triggers creativity and new ideas.
12. Strategic Connections – 3 Tips for Identifying More Opportunities – The more strategic connections you can create among ideas, the more ideas you’ll be able to generate in a brainstorming session.
13. Thinking Aloud: Can You Hear What I’m Thinking? – There’s real value during a brainstorming session to having participants voice their ideas so others can hear them and build on them.
14. Brainstorming Session Success – 8 Ways to Contribute Beyond New Ideas – Although generating ideas is the objective with any brainstorming session, there are other important roles participants can and need to play as well.
15. Subtle Forms of Censorship – It’s valuable to have an organization’s leaders actively participating in brainstorming sessions. You have to make sure their behaviors, however, don’t lead to ideas being censored.
16. How Creative Thinking Gets Killed by Team Members – 8 Fatal Blows – Leaders aren’t the only ones who can censor ideas from other brainstorming participants. Participants can censor and beat up on each other, too. Those behaviors have to be managed.
17. Dilbert and Brainstorming for Innovative Business Ideas – Of course Dilbert has a funny and dark perspective on brainstorming. And unfortunately, the funny and dark perspective on brainstorming in this Dilbert comic strip happens all the time.
After a Brainstorming Session
18. 11 Next Steps for Brainstorming Output – Shared in relation to the Google Fiber brainstorming session, these 11 next steps for brainstorming output apply broadly to a whole variety of brainstorming sessions.
19. Dirty Ideas? Let Others Help Clean Up Your Creative Thinking – It’s not always to your advantage for the brainstorming facilitator to clean up and categorize the ideas. Someone who has a fresh perspective may be able to shed even more light on the results.
20. Brainstorming for Later Use – Not every idea you’ll generate in a brainstorming session has to be used right away. Always be on the lookout for ideas whose time may come later.
21. Extending Brainstorming Ground Rules to Everyday Business Life – Why not try and make these brainstorming ground rules a part of your daily work life. It’s possible, and can help you attract new ideas on a very regular basis. – Mike Brown
The Brainzooming Group helps make smart organizations more successful by rapidly expanding their strategic options and creating innovative plans they can efficiently implement. Email us at email@example.com or call us at 816-509-5320 to learn how we can help you enhance your strategy and implementation efforts.