It was a TOUGH blogging weekend. And by “TOUGH,” I mean on Saturday night I still didn’t have any posts written for the week. Trust me, that’s a problem; I usually try to get all five of the week’s posts started, if not completely done, by Sunday.
On Saturday night, I was definitely scouring my blogging notebooks for junk ideas to turn into blog post treasures. I kep going back to a favorite Saturday blogging resource to scour for ideas: The Wall Street Journal Review section, and especially the “Creating” column.
And once again, The Wall Street Journal came through for me.
This weekend’s “Creating” column featured Ki Nassauer, junker and author of “Junk Beautiful: Room by Room Makeovers” (affiliate link), as she pursued junk at a rural South Dakota hoarders house to look for ideas to fit into her twice-yearly magazine, “Flea Market Style,” and annual “Junk Bonanza flea market festival.”
15 Ideas to Turn Junk Ideas into Treasures
Within the story, there were fifteen ideas demonstrating how KI Nassauer turns “junk ideas” into treasures with potential. Combing through the story and looking to generalize what she does, here are fifteen ways any of us can turn junk ideas into treasures when we need a creative kick start:
1. Space out the deadline for when you need to come up with an idea to give yourself more time
2. Take care of your rich idea sources
3. Take advantage of high probability idea sources
4. Spend more time looking for other ideas
5. Have a creative partner to stimulate ideas
6. Always say “Yes” to new ideas initially
7. Go where others won’t to look for additional junk ideas
8. Change the angle from which you’re considering the idea
9. Look at just part of junk ideas and throw out the rest
10. Turn the junk idea upside down
11. Stack or put junk ideas together
12, Consider outlandish ideas you’d typically overlook
13, Turn the idea around to its opposite
14, Apply different support or resources to the idea
15. Pretty up marginal ideas any way you can
What do you do when you’re stuck creatively?
These 15 ways to turn junk ideas into treasures are definitely worth considering, in my view, to help get you unstuck creatively. – Mike Brown
Download the free ebook, “Taking the NO Out of InNOvation” to help you generate fantastic ideas! For an organizational creativity boost, contact The Brainzooming Group to help your team be more successful by rapidly expanding strategic options and creating innovative plans to efficiently implement. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 816-509-5320 to learn how we can deliver these benefits for you.