A solid social media strategy can do many things for your brand’s results.
At the same time, there are many things social media won’t do for a brand.
Social media WON’T:
- Deliver business results if you can’t articulate a business objective you expect it to support
- Fix a brand problem – in fact it will call attention to a brand problem
- Make your brand suddenly intriguing to its audiences
- Stop talking negatively about your brand if you decide to retreat and not participate in the conversations
- Let you get away with the same poor customer treatment your brand could get away with twenty years ago
- Give you more points for the quantity of content than it will take away for poor quality content
- Tell you what content topics to address . . . but it will give you all kinds of hints
- Make sense if you can’t stop talking about yourself all the time
- Ever completely ignore the things you hope it will ignore
- Automatically make the things you want to go viral go viral
- Change the world as we know it . . . even though it will shake up a lot of things beyond recognition
If your brand is still on the social media strategy sidelines (or is in the game without a strategy), these are all reason it is better to create a solid social media strategy first before just starting and seeing what happens. – Mike Brown