Need to challenge your team to being imagining the future, realizing it may look hardly anything like today?
Originating in a long-term future visioning exercise we designed and facilitated for a client, we developed these questions to prompt a group’s thinking about dramatic future change. The point was to push them to consider the future as something other than a trend line based on yesterday and today.
Strategic Thinking Questions to Imagine a Radically Different Future
Once you provide hypotheses on what you suspect the future will be like in your market, these strategic thinking questions are productive to reinforce dramatic changes ahead.
- Seemingly magical?
- Totally surprising and unexpected at every turn?
- Unbelievably scary and threatening?
- All about only addressing exceptions from what was expected?
- Totally automated and run by robots?
- Rapid fire?
- Filled with data at every turn?
- Devoid of personal, face-to-face communication?
- Run by 125-year old people that haven’t reached retirement age yet?
- Run by 16-year-olds with 10x more intellectual horsepower, knowledge, experience, and energy than people five times their age?
- Playing out fine with no need for human involvement?
- Completely unpredictable?
- Unlike ANYTHING we have known so far?
Coupled with other exercises to envision a radically different future, these strategic thinking questions, all rooted in projected trends, will help push the group to consider new perspectives you need to prepare to address. – Mike Brown